The smoked trout with cucumber and dill salad’s recipe was found on Channel 4. It was just one these unusual circumstances where the ingredients you have are actually the same the ones the recipe asks for.
Smoked trout salad and buttered potatoes
- 1 cucumber
- small bunch of fresh dill, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of caster sugar – regular sugar will do.
- 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar – I used Jerez vinegar instead
- 4 hot smoked trout fillets
- Boiled new potatoes and butter
Halve and deseed the cucumber and thinly slice into half moons. In a large bowl, toss the cucumber slices with fresh dill, caster sugar and rice wine vinegar.
Serve the salad with the trout fillets, broken into pieces, some hot buttered new potatoes with salt and pepper.
Barbecue day: parboiled wheat salad, with cherry tomato, cumcumber and vinaigette. Salmon on tin foil, marinated with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper
Fish curry Goa style
- Vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2.5cm piece of cinnamon stick
- 10g fresh ginger, peeled
- 7 large cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1-3 mild dried red chillies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- Half a teaspoon turmeric
- Half a teaspoon garam masala
- 2 medium tomatoes, pureed
- 400ml coconut milk
- 450g firm white fish fillets, cut into large cubes
- Salt, to taste, and lots of freshly ground black pepper
Heat the vegetable oil in a large non-stick saucepan. Add the mustard seeds and, once they are popping, turn the heat down and add the onion and cinnamon. Cook the onion until golden, around 8 minutes. Meanwhile, using a blender, make a fine paste of the ginger, garlic and chillies with 50ml water. Add this to the cooked onions along with the powdered spices. Cook until reduced, then fry over a low heat for 2 minutes or until the oil is released. Add the tomatoes and another 100ml water; cook until completely reduced and fry the paste for 4-5 minutes or until the oil comes out on top. Stir in the coconut milk and 150ml water, bring to a gentle simmer and allow the flavours to marry and develop for 5 minutes. Add the fish and cook until done, around 4-5 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning, then serve.
Pan fried codfish in a bed of chery tomato and spring onions, new potatoes sauteed with rosemary and garlic