Melon, cucumber and courgette salad with olivesPosted: September 23, 2013
Melons are now totally off season, but it is still worthwhile to post this super light, super healthy and super refreshing little salad. It was the best Summer dish * ever *… Too bad I couldn’t do it more ofter.
Melon, cucumber and courgette salad with olives onion (adapted from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall column in The Guardian)
- ½ large cucumber (about 200g, deseeded and cut in half moon slices about 2mm thick)
- 1 medium courgette (about 200g, cut into 2mm thick slices)
- ¼ small charentais or galia melon (about 200gm sliced as above)
- 50g pitted black olives, chopped as above
- Juice of ½ small lemon
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Quarter the cucumber lengthways, scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon and slice into thin quarter-moons about 2mm thick. Put the slices in a large bowl.
Top and tail the courgette, quarter it lengthways and cut into pieces the same thickness as the cucumber. Add to the bowl.
Scoop the seeds out of the melon. Carefully slice the melon off its skin, then cut it first lengthways into two to three slender wedges, then crosswise, as with the cucumber and courgette. Add to the bowl.
Roughly chop the olives and add to the salad.
Squeeze over the lemon juice, trickle over the oil, give it a good seasoning and stir together gently. Taste, add more salt, pepper or lemon juice if needed, and serve straight away